In the cutthroat world of B2B marketing, recruiters are the gatekeepers to your dream job. They’re the ones who hold the key to unlocking your career potential and propelling you to the next level. But what do they really look for when they’re sifting through those endless resumes and LinkedIn profiles? And what are the secret pet peeves that make them hit “reject” faster than you can say “synergy”?
In this episode of the Marketing Gets Real podcast, we pull back the curtain on the B2B marketing recruitment process with some special guests!
Lindsay Warren, a seasoned Head of Talent Acquisition with years of experience placing top talent in leading tech companies and Brenn Scott, Founder of found.Consulting spill the beans on what recruiters are ACTUALLY looking for, how you might be unintentionally sabotaging your chances… and everything else you’ve ever wanted to know!
The Burning Hot Market for B2B Marketing Talent
The podcast kicks off with a discussion about the current state of the B2B marketing job market. Brenn and Lindsay paint a picture of a red-hot market, with agencies flooded with calls from companies desperate to find qualified B2B marketing talent – a MarTech space, where Brenn says that “people that are getting jobs were able to command a premium.”
Culture is King (or Queen)
One of the biggest trends Brenn and Lindsay see is the importance of company culture. With the rise of remote work, many companies now require employees to come into the office at least a few times a week. However, Lindsay says, “Younger folks, millennials, Gen Zs want nothing to do with that.” This is something that companies need to keep in mind when they’re recruiting for open positions.
The First 90 Days Matter
Brenn also shared some interesting insights about the first 90 days of a new employee’s job. He says this period is “the main indicator of how they’re going to perform at your company years from now.” This is why it’s so crucial for companies to make sure that they’re onboarding new employees effectively.
Red Flags for B2B Marketing Job Seekers
Common red flags could make you a less attractive candidate to B2B marketing recruiters. One of these is if you’re job hopping too frequently. Brenn says, “It’s not uncommon for people to move on after a year or two, but if you’re doing it every six months, that’s going to raise some eyebrows.”
Another is if you’re not passionate about B2B marketing. Lindsay says, “You can tell when someone is just going through the motions.” It will show in your interviews if you’re not excited about B2B marketing.
Tips for B2B Marketing Job Seekers
So, what can you do to make yourself a more attractive candidate to B2B marketing recruiters? Brenn and Lindsay offer a few tips:
- Focus on your experience. When you’re writing your resume and cover letter, make sure to highlight your relevant experience and accomplishments.
- Be passionate. Show the recruiter that you’re passionate about B2B marketing.
- Do your research. Before you go into an interview, make sure you do your research on the company and the position you’re interviewing for.
- Be prepared to answer questions about your experience with MarTech. With the growing importance of MarTech, Brenn says that it’s essential for B2B marketing professionals to be up-to-date on the latest trends and technologies.
Following these tips can increase your chances of landing your dream job in B2B marketing.
In addition to the tips above, here are some other takeaways from the podcast:
- The B2B marketing job market is hot, especially for qualified talent in the MarTech space.
- Company culture is more important than ever.
- The first 90 days of a new employee’s job are critical.
- Job hopping can be a red flag for recruiters.
- It’s important to be passionate about B2B marketing.
- Do your research before you go into an interview.
By understanding what B2B marketing recruiters are looking for and avoiding the common pitfalls, you can increase your chances of landing your dream job. So, what are you waiting for? Start listening to this episode of Marketing Gets Real today and learn how you can take your B2B marketing career to the next level!
Connect with Lindsay on LinkedIn.
Connect with Brenn on LinkedIn.
Learn more about Unreal Digital Group